As device scaling and the economics of semiconductor manufacturing reach major inflection points, developing SOCs that achieve the performance needed for future mobile computing devices while delivering on the holy grail of “always on” fantastic resolution displays requires the next level of deep collaboration across the entire ecosystem. This reality has put an increased strain on device and components manufacturers to bring PC-like performance to the latest mobile devices. As we look to 2013, smartphones and tablets sales are only expected to increase, making up 40% of the global consumer electronics market’s yearly sales.
To enable true mobile computing at the component level, Samsung Foundry has been hard at work on process and design innovation in our most advanced logic fabs, enabling customers to manufacture the latest chips used in the newest electronic devices. Last month, we announced our most recent advancement in process technology in collaboration with our ecosystem partners ARM, Cadence, Mentor and Synopsys: 14nm FinFET.
14nm FinFET allows Samsung to manufacture customers’ chips with an innovative design infrastructure that brings significant gains in performance alongside low-power consumption for mobile devices. We’ll be discussing our newest advancements in process node technology and the need for greater collaboration among foundries, ecosystem partners and customers at Common Platform Technology Forum on February 5 at the Santa Clara Convention Center. IBM, Samsung and GLOBALFROUNDRIES will be co-hosting the event as part of the Common Platform Alliance.
Join us at the forum for:
- A keynote speech by Dr. KH Kim, Executive Vice President of Foundry at Samsung Electronics. Dr. Kim will discuss how Samsung Foundry innovation is accelerating access to comprehensive customer solutions at the forefront of technology, leveraging a deeper collaboration model across the entire semiconductor manufacturing ecosystem to reduce risk and speed up time-to-market for mobile components. (10:30 a.m. – 11 a.m.)
- A technical session with Dr. Shawn Han, Vice President of Foundry Marketing at Samsung Electronics, alongside Dr. Antun Domic, Senior Vice President and General Manager of the Implementation Group at Synopsys. Dr. Han and Dr. Domic will take us through a deep dive not only on the 14nm FinFET process and its technological benefits, but also detail the level of collaboration among the Common Platform Alliance, ecosystem partners and fabless companies enabling this degree of innovation. (1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.)
Register for the conference. If you’re unable to make it out in person next month to Santa Clara, the event will also be streaming live.
What do you think will help drive further collaboration in the semiconductor industry? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below.
- “A Decade of Innovation, a World of Solutions”: Common Platform Technology Forum 2012
- True Collaboration – Common Platform Technology Forum
- Common Platform Tech Forum – It’s a Wrap